Monday, December 11, 2017

Hard Seasons

I thought my move to Orlando would bring more blog updates for all of you to skim through, but the reality has unfortunately been the opposite. To be honest, I haven't been able to find words to convey my thoughts, but here goes nothing.


I would say that I'm adventurer to an extent. I've never ever been one to sit at home. If you say road trip, I'm the first person in the car. I love to travel and see new places. I moved to Athens almost three years ago and never once missed home or thought of moving back. But Orlando has been a whole different ballgame. I could tell you everything is great and I love Orlando and I'm meeting people and doing all the fun things, but none of that would be true. I actually really hate Orlando. Don't get me wrong, I like my job, and most of the people I work with, but this place is just not for me. I'm a small town girl and nothing about this place is small town.


This has been a HARD season of life so far. It has gotten better over the past few weeks, but I used to sit at home and cry my eyes out every single night. My heart longed for Georgia. For Friends. For Family. For things familiar. I've never in my life felt that way before and I haven't really figured out how to deal with it yet. I tried my best to just hide that I was struggling. I didn't want anyone to worry about me (read: my Nana). But, the more I tried to act okay, the more I cried. So, I've learned that it's okay to not be okay sometimes. And right now, I'm not okay.


Orlando was not where I wanted to be and it was far from an easy choice to make. I cried and prayed a lot before making this decision and it was not something I just decided on a whim (I had a job offer for a company in Boone, NC as well and if you know me at all, you know that Boone is my DREAM location). However, the Lord has "shown up and showed out" the past two months. And that gives me peace to know that even though this is not where I want to be, it's exactly where I'm supposed to be.


The week before Thanksgiving, my gospel singing friends were in Jacksonville singing on Sunday night so I drove to see them. I needed that visit more than I knew, and I'm so glad I was able to go. Then, I got to go home for Thanksgiving (and got off early for it too!). The week after Thanksgiving I was able to have dinner with friends from Augusta who were in town for Disney. Which happened to be the same night my car battery died and they graciously rescued me with a set of jumper cables. You can't tell me that God didn't ordain those dinner plans.


This week, I leave for Georgia. I'll spend a week in Athens for a work conference and a week in Augusta for family time. It is going to be so hard to get me back in Orlando after that! But, my girls (most of them) are planning a trip for New Years and I couldn't be more excited! My parents are planning a trip (for a bluegrass festival about an hour away) in February. My old roomies are also planning a weekend trip for February. My cousin and BFF are possibly planning a trip for February. I also have a feeling I can expect the sister and her family sometime before summer for Disney World.


On top of that, there have been so many not so little things that have meant THE WORLD to me.
Like, my BBE sent me flowers and FIVE separate "thinking of you" cards to tell me how much she misses/loves me and how awesome she thinks I am.
Some of the Landmark Cottage Construction crew were in town for a work trip and invited me out to dinner one night.
I've received so many text messages from unexpected people telling me they miss me.
I met some fellow UGA fans while watching the Auburn game. It was nice to be miserable with some fellow fans.
The staff at work bought me a Georgia state shape necklace for my Christmas gift, along with a card to tell me how much they love having me here and it was the sweetest thing. I might have cried.


While this city, and most of the people that live here, are not my cup of tea, I'm so thankful God has continuously worked ALL things for my good. I hope my time in Florida is limited, but even if it's not, I know that the Lord will continue to take care of me. If any of you are ever in Orlando, or want to take a road trip, hit ya girl up. I welcome visitors with open arms!


Sassy as always,
AK

No comments: