Thursday, October 29, 2015

The Big Bad Barber Bash

Well, I guess I've procrastinated long enough to talk about the wedding of the year!

Emily Wood and Geoff Barber (my roommates) were united in marriage by Emily's dad on Saturday, October 24th, 2015 at the beautiful Carl House. They were joined by family and friends to share in this exciting day!

Several months ago, Emily informed me that I was going to be a program attendant. She'd put it on their wedding website, but failed to let me in on this bit of information. Then, a couple months after that, she and Geoff asked me if I would speak during the ceremony. Since I've been living with them since March, they say I know them the best as a couple and wanted me to be a part of their day! I don't do the public speaking thing, but I couldn't tell her no, so I accepted. At least it wasn't singing!
Here's what I read:


From Captain Corelli’s Mandolin:

"Love is a temporary madness, it erupts like volcanoes and then subsides. And when it subsides you have to make a decision. You have to work out whether your root was so entwined together that it is inconceivable that you should ever part. Because this is what love is.
Love is not breathlessness, it is not excitement, it is not the promulgation of promises of eternal passion. That is just being in love, which any fool can do. Love itself is what is left over when being in love has burned away, and this is both an art and a fortunate accident.
Those that truly love have roots that grow towards each other underground, and when all the pretty blossoms have fallen from their branches, they find that they are one tree and not two."


I’ve been fortunate enough the last 8 months to live with Geoff and Emily and see them together on a daily basis. I’ve been able to watch them grow and succeed not only as individuals, but also as a couple. I especially love watching how well they work together as a team. From agreeing on a honeymoon location, which might have tested their relationship a little, to making every day decisions they continually show support, commitment, and respect to each other.  The love that is so evident between them surely exemplifies that they truly are a couple whose roots are so entwined together that is inconceivable that they should ever be a part.

Emily said I made her cry, so I feel like that's a win! HA! 

The wedding was just beautiful. She chose blush and navy as her colors (not blush and bashful. which I might have referenced a million and three times during the wedding planning process) and they looked so classy together!


The ceremony was outside in the courtyard of the Carl House while the sun was setting which turned out gorgeous. The reception was inside the house and it was so pretty. The dinner was delicious, complete with enough Cecilia's cake to last a month. (which happens to be the best cake in Athens, by the way, so I'm not complaining) 


After dinner and toasts, the DJ lead us out on the dance floor to dance the night away! Emily, being the planner she is, gave him a list of some of the best songs, which made the dancing that much better. I mean, who can sit still when Whitney Houston's I Wanna Dance With Somebody is blaring through the speakers? The answer is no one. 


For their guest book, they had a photo booth, complete with an assortment of props, which was super fun! My friend Seth and I jumped in to snap some cute photos together! It was a huge hit! 


The bridal party left with Geoff and Emily on the trolley they rented where the dancing continued. They created a "Trolley Mix" CD to play on the way back to Athens and all of us continued the party! We stayed out way too late, but much fun was had! 

AND... I almost forget the excitement of the evening. One of the groomsmen didn't eat lunch that day, and then locked his knees while standing on the stage, so not even five minutes into the ceremony he was on the ground. Luckily, Harley, who was standing beside him, had some quick reflexes and spun him in mid air so he wouldn't fall face first on the brick. Once they got some food in him and he was fine, but everyone was worried about him at first. I'm sure that added some great comic relief to the wedding video! Oh, and he made an "I'm so sorry" sign and held it up in all of his photo booth pictures. Classic. 



Even though it has been fun, I sure am glad that The Wood weddings of 2015 are now over! 

Congratulations to Em and Geoff! I hope y'all are enjoying Hawaii!!


No comments: