Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Cinco de Mayo Birthday!

While today is Cinco de Mayo, it's also my brother in law's birthday! People have always questioned the close relationship that he and I share and to them I must say it's weird if you're NOT close to your brother in law.
Adam and VA have been together off and on since I was just six years old. So really, he's more of a brother than a brother in law. I followed them everywhere they went when I was little. I asked to go on every date they went on, and pouted when I couldn't.


We've had some fun times over the years - Adam is probably one of the funniest people I know, but it took the hard work of VA and I to help make him that way. Somebody had to let him know when his jokes were tomato throwing worthy.  He used to get so upset that we'd laugh at other people's jokes but not his!

He shares my love of movie quotes in character voices. Our favorite movie to quote together is The Grinch. Dead middle of a conversation, someone can say something that reminds us of the Grinch and we'll be quoting the entire movie in our best Grinch voice for the next hour. Pull up a chair, we're entertaining!

Now, there was a time that he and I had a little quarrel, if you will.
(there's been a couple I guess, but this was the worst. JUST THE WORST)
I was working at the shop part time and on the days that I worked, he and I would ride to work together. Which, by the way, he just LOVED and I know he misses that SO MUCH because his most favorite part of the day was riding down I-20 while I was putting on make-up with the DADGUM LIGHTS ON.
On this particular day, he decided he wasn't going to go anywhere for lunch, because he needed to work on his boat and told me to drive his truck to lunch. Well, I personally didn't think it was a very good idea, but I needed to get lunch, so off I went.
Now, here's where you should know that his truck was old. It was his Dad's truck that he had given to Adam. It was huge, and I wasn't used to driving it at all.
I made it to the Wendy's down the street and back to the shop and then it happened. I tried to pull this larger than life truck into a bay door that seemed entirely too small that day. I started to pull the truck inside the shop, when all of I sudden, I hear something - like metal being scraped against something. That something was a brick wall. So, naturally, I backed up to try it again only to hear more metal being demolished. Um, this cannot be good. Adam came rushing over to the truck, which now had a very large dent in the side and a driver who he claims was laughing. (this is where he exaggerates the story, I think)  He was SO very angry. He yelled at me for probably the first time ever and slammed the door so hard I'm surprised it didn't fall off.  He wouldn't talk to me for weeks and made me find another ride to work. I sat at my desk crying most of the rest of the day and all the guys would come by and try to cheer me up, but I kept saying he was going to kill me, and they all agreed. Luckily, I'm still alive to talk about it, he has a new truck, and he talks to me. It was a trying time in our life.


Adam is seriously the best at just about everything.
He makes the best bonfires and always has stuff to make s'mores because he knows they're my favorite. 
He always fixes everything for us - mainly because he's been petitioning for brother in laws for YEARS, but much to his and my dismay he doesn't have any yet.
He cuts the grass out at Sterling Oaks on White Oak. (the name we recently gave the property)
He fixes all of our vehicles, he changes light bulbs, batteries in the smoke detectors, kills any rodents, and comes to our rescue on a daily basis.
He grills the best BBQ chicken.
He picked up the Usry family trait of story telling. And, he "never lets the truth get in the way of a good story."
He came up with the brilliant idea of hooding in the snow.
He is such a wonderful Daddy to Alabama, Pate, and Blue.
He's a fantastic husband to my sister and one stellar brother in law!

 
To say I'm blessed to have such a wonderful brother in law is an understatement! And, I'm so thankful he's put up with us for so long!
Happy birthday, Ad! Love you!
 
 


1 comment:

Virginia said...

JUST THE WORST! HAHA!