Thursday, April 16, 2015

Accessorize.

If you know me, you know that gaudy should have been my middle name. Kate sounds so much better paired with Audra, so it's totally fine that my parents weren't witty enough to come up with that on their own. I also assume I wasn't adorned with jewels coming out of the womb, either.
However, over the years I've grown to love a heaping helping of bling. Bracelets, rings, earrings, necklaces, you name it. Anything that sparkles or shines always catches my eye. I mean, when your Premier Jewelry lady says "You know, it'd probably be easier and cheaper if you just became a consultant" you might have a slight addiction.

Several years ago I realized that since I was a receptionist answering phones all day, sometimes my earrings were just too large. Now, it's not normal for me to use such terrible language, but truth is truth. My left ear piercing had stretched out over time from wearing such large and heavy earrings. My stubbornness, which also could have been my middle name, got the better of me and I continued to press on wearing those beautiful, dangling earrings every day. Beauty is pain, right? Finally, I realized I probably should give the earrings a rest when I had to start taking out my earrings about lunch time every.single.day because my ear hurt so much I just couldn't take it any longer. For about two months or so, I stopped wearing earrings completely. My ear seemed to be getting better, so I then started to wear them on the weekends and to special events. I quickly fell right back into old habits of  wearing the dangling "earbobs"--that's what my Pastor calls them -- every day again. It was painful, but I looked good and that's what really mattered. Vanity is strong in this one. 

I've battled back and forth with earrings for a few years and usually on Sundays or special occasions, I'd power through and wear the beauties. Some hurt worse than others, and some times I'd even be able to wear them the entire day. It all depended on the earring and the day. Easter Sunday (and the night before) I wore pearl studs. Even though they were small, my ear still hurt so I took them out pretty early on Sunday afternoon. I didn't wear earring the rest of the week until Friday when I was having to take head-shots for our company website. (that's another post in and of itself) Except, when I went to put my earrings in, it just fell out of my ear. I picked it up, and tried to put it in again, this time looking in the mirror, and realized that my ear had actually stretched completely and my earlobe was split! Um, WHAT?! How could this actually happen? I stood looking in the mirror for a good five minutes trying to figure out how and when this actually happened. Shouldn't I know if my ear happens to split open? Like it should bleed or something, right? Nope. It never did. And that still boggles my mind. I realize the below picture is "gross" as my family might have mentioned, but I knew you needed reference to this ear dilemma.


my ear looks like Ms. Pac-Man!
I remember Kate at The Small Things Blog had the same kind of issue a while back so I'm going to stalk find her posts about what she did to get it fixed. So for now, I guess I'm being forced to not wear earrings and my heart is a little sad about this. Maybe I will find some clip-ons I can wear! (do they even make those anymore?!)
 
 
Happy Thursday, friends!
 

1 comment:

Virginia said...

Yes, Stein Mart has quite the selection.